Saturday 11th May 10-5pm
Workshop 925 based at The Mayford Centre, just outside of Woking and very close to Guildford.
Unit F9 The Mayford Centre,
WHAT DOES THE DAY INVOLVE?
Join our expert enamelling and jewellery tutor Sally Lees to learn introductory enamelling techniques in this exciting one-day course.
You will learn a wide range of enamelling techniques for copper and make samples to refine your skills and technique. You will explore techniques including sifting; sgraffito; stenciling; drawing on enamelled surfaces with graphite pencils; using wet pens and painting with wet enamels.
This course is ideal for students with no experience of enamelling. However, more experienced students can join the course and use the time to further experiment with these techniques or try them for the first time.
To see the day in action see our Instagram post here
DURING THIS DAY SESSION YOU WILL…
- Learn how to prepare copper before enamelling.
- Understand how to fire enamels to the right temperatures to create attractive results.
- Practice how to sift onto copper to create an even surface to be able to decorate it.
- Explore and practice sgrafitto and stenciling enamelling techniques.
- Learn how to draw onto enamelled surfaces using graphite pencils.
- Learn how to wash enamels and use them to paint patterns onto enamelled surfaces.
- Understand the principles decorating metal with enamels and the processes of firing enamels at the correct temperatures to achieve specific effects.
You will be shown a series of demonstrations throughout the day and can try all of the techniques demonstrated or you can decide to concentrate on a particular technique – this is your ay to explore enamelling and the vast potential it offers.
Please note, this day is not focussed on working on finished designs or working with silver. Enamelling takes time to learn and explore. You will be working with a series of copper blanks – some of which have holes so you are able to slot them onto earring hooks or place a jump ring on them for a pendant if you are pleased with your sample. The aim of the course is to introduce you to the techniques and processes and for you to experiment and put into practice what you have been shown, not to create finished designs at this stage, this will be something you can work towards once you have gained some experience.
None, all abilities are welcomed. We support you throughout the session and provide demonstrations to show you the techniques and steps needed to create your project.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
All tools and consumables are supplied. We will supply copper sheet for your samples, but please feel free to bring along any pierced designs you might have of your own or anything you would like to experiment with.
YOU WILL BE PROVIDED WITH:
Copper sheet is supplied.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A sketch book – to note your practices throughout the day, especially important for those who would like to recreate their samples again at home or on future occasions.
- If you want to bring along any silver to experiment with, you are welcome to do so.
- Please wear closed toe shoes – no sandals or flip flops as you will be working with hot metal and tools.
- Please bring along any lunch, snacks and drinks for the session. We have tea and coffee supplies you are welcome to help yourself to but make sure you bring enough refreshments and supplies to keep you going during the day. We have a fridge, microwave and kettle which you are welcome to use.
You can pay via our website or in our workshop in person using our card machine.
If you prefer to pay directly, you can email us on email@example.com and we can invoice you manually to arrange a bank transfer.
For classes over £80, instalment options are also available. Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
Gift Voucher – if you have a voucher to redeem, please email us before booking on email@example.com
Please check your dates carefully before booking a class as we are unable to offer refunds. See our Terms & Conditions for full details.