Saturday 3rd September 10-5pm
Workshop 925 based at The Mayford Centre, just outside of Woking and very close to Guildford.
Unit F9 The Mayford Centre,
What does the day involve?
Join our senior enamelling and jewellery tutor Sally Lees to learn introductory enamelling techniques in this exciting one-day course.
You will learn a wide range of enamelling techniques for copper and make samples to refine your skills and technique. You will explore techniques including sifting; sgraffito; stenciling; drawing on enamelled surfaces with graphite pencils; using wet pens and painting with wet enamels.
This course is ideal for students with no experience of enamelling. However, more experienced students can join the course and use the time to further experiment with these techniques or try them for the first time.
During this day session you will…
- Learn how to prepare copper before enamelling.
- Understand how to fire enamels to the right temperatures to create attractive results.
- Practice how to sift onto copper to create an even surface to be able to decorate it.
- Explore and practice sgrafitto and stenciling enamelling techniques.
- Learn how to draw onto enamelled surfaces using graphite pencils.
- Learn how to wash enamels and use them to paint patterns onto enamelled surfaces.
- Understand the principles decorating metal with enamels and the processes of firing enamels at the correct temperatures to achieve specific effects.
You will be shown a series of demonstrations throughout the day and can try all of the techniques demonstrated or you can decide to concentrate on a particular technique – this is your ay to explore enamelling and the vast potential it offers.
None, all abilities are welcomed. We support you throughout the session and provide demonstrations to show you the techniques and steps needed to create your project.
What is included?
- All tools and consumables are supplied. We will supply copper sheet for your samples, but please feel free to bring along any project work you would like to experiment with or further copper blanks.
You will be provided with:
Copper sheet is supplied.
What to bring:
- A sketch book – to note your practices throughout the day, especially important for those who would like to recreate their samples again at home or on future occasions.
- If you want to bring along any silver to experiment with, you are welcome to do so.
- Please wear closed toe shoes – no sandals or flip flops as you will be working with hot metal and tools.
- Please bring along any lunch, snacks and drinks for the session. We have tea and coffee supplies you are welcome to help yourself to but make sure you bring enough refreshments and supplies to keep you going during the day. We have a fridge, microwave and kettle which you are welcome to use.