When: Sarah is available at weekends and during the week. If you decide to book a stone cutting course, there is flexibility for your booking. We will contact you to find a suitable session.
Length: The session will last 4 hours
THIS WORKSHOP COURSE IS BASED IN FARNHAM NOT OUR WOKING WORKSHOP
Weydon Farm House
Weydon Farm Lane
There is parking on site.
What does the session involve?
In this unique course with tutor Sarah Reece you will learn how to cut two shapes of stones:
- The first will be a free form shape with flat edges (as shown in the images).
- The second the focus will be how to create a traditional cabochon. This stone will have a flat base with a rounded top. This will be cut from rough stone which you can select from Sarah’s beautiful collection. You can decide the shape and size and which part of the stone you wish to use.
You will be cutting the stone while it is in water so you do not inhale harmful dusts. With this in mind, please wear older clothes, and waterproof shoes – wellies are advised as it is not a clean or dry activity. Water sprays from the rotating wheels as you are working. We will provide you with a waterproof apron.
This course is an excellent introduction to stone cutting. It allows you to step into the world of Lapidary where you can cut and create any shaped stone you desire, you won’t be beholden to the shop bought stone. This means your projects and settings can become completely unique as per your designs.
You will be working with a Cab King 6″ and the Diamond Pacific Pixie Cabbing Machine.
The class size is limited to just 1 student.
None, all abilities are welcomed. We support you throughout the session and provide demonstrations to show you the techniques and steps needed to create your project. With one to one sessions, you will gain a large amount of support in this intensive introduction to stone cutting
What is included?
- All tools and consumables are supplied
- The stones you will carve are NOT INCLUDED in the price of the course – This is something you can choose on the day so you can select something you would like to work with. Sarah has priced up different varies in generous sizes ranging from £3-£20.
- If you would rather not buy stone to work with, no problem, Sarah has plenty of beautiful flint that you can use instead.
What to bring:
For safety reasons, during each class, you are required to wear appropriate footwear, we request that no open toed shoes are worn within the workshop. Wellies or older waterproof shoes advised.
Long hair should also be tied back when working with the equipment. You may also wish to bring a notebook. There are always many tips and tricks given verbally by the tutor, which some might like to keep note of.
Also pack your own snacks and drinks for the session if required.